IJARP Impact Factor(2018): 4.908

International Journal of Advanced Research and Publications!

Paper Details: A Four Years Records Analysis Of Non-Traumatic Gynecological Abdominal Emergencies In Mekelle Hospital, Mekelle, Tigray, Ethiopia During The Period Of February 2009 To February 2012

Volume 3 - Issue 9, September 2019 Edition
[Download Full Paper]

Author(s)
Girma Abdissa, G/Meskel Mirutse
Keywords
Tubo-ovarain abscess, ectopic pregnancy,pelvic inflammatory disease, ovarian torsion
Abstract
The aim of this study is to assess the magnitude and management outcome of non-traumatic gynecological abdominal emergencies in Mekele hospital from February 2009 to February 2012. Gynecological emergencies are common in women in the reproductive age group. The most common gynecologic causes of the acute abdomen are ectopic pregnancy, ovarian torsion,PID and tubo-ovarian abscess. The rate of ectopic pregnancies per 1000 reported pregnancies increased fourfold in the United States from 1970 to 1992. , the highest EP incidence rates were observed in African countries (between 0.5 and2.3% of live births) The proportion of all maternal deaths attributed to ectopic pregnancy, however, increased from 8 percent in 1970 to 11 percent in the 3-year period ending 1990 (konini and associates, 1997).Torsion of the adnexa is an infrequent cause of pain in the lower abdomen. However, torsion is a common gynecologic surgical emergency, with a prevalence of 2.7%. The study shows among 146 studied groups 126[86.3%] cards were available among these,Pre operatively 69[54.8%] ectopic pregnancy, 32[25.4%] pelvic inflammatory disease, 12[9.5%], ovarian torsion,8[6.3%] Tubo ovarian abscess and 5[4%] others. Intra operatively 93.6% had the diagnosis and the rest 6.4% had different per-operative diagnosis. Among 95 procedures done the majority of them 73.6% had no complication the rest 23.2%, 3.2% had mild and major complication. The prevalence of non-traumatic gynecological abdominal emergencies were 13.3% with delays hospital admit ion of 66.7% and preoperative diagnosis difference of 4.6% with 25.9% post-operative complication therefor early diagnosis and treatment, intensive history and physical examination in addition to some diagnostic tools and minimizing number of visitor in recovery rooms may help to reduces these complication
References
[1]. Burnett LS: Gynecologic causes of the acute abdomen. Surg Clin North Am 68:385,1988
[2]. Cartwright PS: Diagnosis of ectopic pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am 18:22,1991
[3]. Liskin LS. Maternal morbidity in developing countries’ review and comments. Int J Gynecol Obstet 1992; 37:77–87.
[4]. Williams obstetrics 22th edithin page1324
[5]. Amoko DHA, Buga GAB. Clinical presentation of ectopic pregnancy in Transkei, South Africa. East Afr Med J1995; 72: 770–3.
[6]. Seyoum J. Ectopic pregnancy at Tikur Anbessa hospital ,Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 1981–1987. Ethiopia Med J1990; 28: 1137.
[7]. Rajkhowa M, Glass MR, Rutherford AJ, Balen AH,Sharma V, Cuckle HS. Trends in the incidence of ectopic pregnancy in England and Wales from 1966 to1996. Br Med Obstet Gynecol 2000; 107: 369–74.
[8]. Telindeis operative gynecology tenth edition page 334
[9]. This is a reprint of a Cochrane review, prepared and maintained by the Cochrane Collaboration and published in The Cochrane Library 2006, Issue 4
[10]. Landers DV: Tubo-ovarian abscess complicating pelvic inflammatory disease. In LandersDV, Sweet RL (eds): Pelvic Inflammatory Disease. New York, Springer Verlag,1996, p 9443.
[11]. Roberts W, Dockery JL: Management of tubo-ovarian abscess due to pelvic inflammatory disease. S Med J 77:7, 1984
[12]. Krivak T, Propst A, Horowitz G: Tubo-ovarian abscess. Principles of contemporary management. Fem Patient 22:27, 1997
[13]. Lackner ]E, Tulsky AS: Abortion as a complication of operation in the pregnant woman. A plea for the prophylactic use of progesterone. Am J Surg 46:362, 1939